Simo Jaakko Saarakkala, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Finnish Academy Research Fellow
+358 50 5746681
- Present positions
- Associate Professor (Biomedical Engineering), Research Unit of Medical Imaging, Physics and Technology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland.
- Scientific Director, Infotech Oulu Focus Institute, University of Oulu, Finland
- Finnish Academy Research fellow, Research Unit of Medical Imaging, Physics and Technology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland, Sep 2013 – Aug 2018.
- Current research interests
- Development of novel quantitative methods for early diagnostics, follow-up and prediction of osteoarthritis and other musculoskeletal diseases.
- Investigation of structure, composition and biomechanics of skeletal tissues – especially articular cartilage, subchondral bone and meniscus, as well as trabecular and cortical bone – at the tissue and cellular level.
- Adjunct Professor (Title of Docent) in Biomedical Physics (2010). Department of Medical Technology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
- Adjunct Professor (Title of Docent) in Medical Physics (2009). Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
- Ph.D. in Medical Physics (2007), University of Kuopio, Finland
- M.Sc. in Medical Physics (2005), University of Kuopio, Finland
- The qualification to serve as a Radiation Safety Officer in the field of General Use of Radiation in the Medical Sector (2012). Approved by the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, Finland.
- The qualification to practice Clinical Audits for Exposure to Radiation in Medical Practices in Finland as an assistant evaluator (2004).
- Download Publication list and full CV of Simo Saarakkala: